 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6100
Re: Lego in subdomains, legal or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 19:43:21 GMT

"Niels Bugge" <buggelego2@+antiSPAMmail. dk> wrote in message
news:I8Co0J.87r@lugnet.com...
To Jake McKee or somebody else who can speak on behalf of TLC:

After the presentation of my webpage <www.lego.bugge.com>, I've received a • lot
of warnings against legal problems with TLC based on the Fair Play Policy.

A search on the subject here on lugnet hasn'tofficial statement from
TLC-affiliated people that can shed light on the question; the only place • I've
seen subdomains mentioned is in a post by Tobbe Arnesson
<http://news.lugnet.com/modelteam/?n=953> claiming that using lego in • subdomains
is illegal based on the • <http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=fairplay
Fair Play Policy> which, however, doesn't mention anything about • subdomains,
only domains:

[The LEGO Trademark cannot be used in an Internet Address] ¬
The LEGO trademark should not be incorporated into an Internet address.
Internet addresses have become useful tools for people to identify the • source
of a homepage. Using "LEGO" in the domain name would be creating the
misleading impression that the LEGO Group sponsored the homepage.

Frankly I would be really surprised if TLC should show any interest in
interfering with what a private person decides to do with his legally • bought
domain name (without lego), with a reference to avoid "creating the • misleading
impression that the LEGO Group sponsored the homepage", as a subdomain • such as
mine only can be considered 'sponsored' by the owner of <www.bugge.com> • and
therefore clearly family business.

I might be wrong, but I really like the address and I've spend many, many • hours
creating nedstatcounters for all pages, and I wouldn't like to throw all • that
work away based on hearsay. So what I'd really like to have is an • {official}
statement settling the matter (and if it's illegal, an explanation why): • Because
until I know if the address is ok, I can't really advertise the page on • the
internet or upload new parts (with reference to the newest emailaddress • shown on
the webpage) to the Ldraw PT as this would only make it even more • difficult to
move the page to another address (like l3go.bugge.com).

So basically I'm stuck until this question is settled.

-NB

I would say that you are free to use the word in a subdomain. Take this for
example:
"www.bugge.com/lego.htm"
Here, it is the HTML page that is named "lego". You are free to use what
name you want on your files, and that goes also for your own subdomains.
Subdomains do not need to be registered, and they are not protected like
domains.
/Joakim