 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6102
Re: Lego in subdomains, legal or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:37:51 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Michael Obenland wrote:
Hi,

After the presentation of my webpage <www.lego.bugge.com>, I’ve received a lot
of warnings against legal problems with TLC based on the Fair Play Policy.

Sure enough. I think that your Page violates the Fair Play Policy.

[...] which, however, doesn’t mention anything about subdomains, only domains:
[The LEGO Trademark cannot be used in an Internet Address] ¬
The LEGO trademark should not be incorporated into an Internet address.

Well. What do you think is www.lego.bugge.com? I think it is an internet
address. Can you tell me, how the normal, fairly computer literate surfer or a
kid searching for the lego homepage can distinguish between

www.lego.com

and

www.lego.bugge.com

and can tell which of these addresses does surely not contain a LEGO(tm) site?

Another way to look at this is, what if someone created the sub-domain

www.bugge.porn.com

Would you consider that fair play? I doubt you could do anything about it
legally, but if someone did that to me I would consider it very rude.

ROSCO