 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6101
Re: Lego in subdomains, legal or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:03:14 GMT

Hi,

After the presentation of my webpage <www.lego.bugge.com>, I’ve received a lot
of warnings against legal problems with TLC based on the Fair Play Policy.

Sure enough. I think that your Page violates the Fair Play Policy.

[...] which, however, doesn’t mention anything about subdomains, only domains:
[The LEGO Trademark cannot be used in an Internet Address] ¬
The LEGO trademark should not be incorporated into an Internet address.

Well. What do you think is www.lego.bugge.com? I think it is an internet
address. Can you tell me, how the normal, fairly computer literate surfer or a
kid searching for the lego homepage can distinguish between

www.lego.com

and

www.lego.bugge.com

and can tell which of these addresses does surely not contain a LEGO(tm) site?

Frankly I would be really surprised if TLC should show any interest in
interfering with what a private person decides to do with his legally bought
domain name (without lego)

Frankly, I would be really surprised if they don't. In other fields of fan
pages there have been big problems for fan created sites. I remeber for
example some big fight between Star Wars fan pages and Lucas Arts.
In one aspect, Lego can be glad to have such great fan pages around the world
that do valuable advertise for their products. On the other hand, they have to
defend the LEGO trade mark and can not allow that the "normal" surfer mixes
original LEGO stuff and fan material. I think that from the TLC side of view
the LEGO way is a generous way to handle this problem.

All Lego fan pages I know have silently accepted this "we don't bother you,
you don't bother us" agreement with the LEGO company.

[...] and I've spend many, many hours creating nedstatcounters for all pages,
> and I wouldn’t like to throw all that work away

I won't say much here. But spending hours on - well - counters is not a very
strong point allowing to use LEGO in the address.

Regards,

Michael