 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2984
Re: Why the high proce in UK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:25:13 GMT

"Kyle D. Jackson" <flightdeck@sympatico.deletethisspamblock.ca> wrote in message news:GGC7w3.76u@lugnet.com...
Okay, so exchange rate is part of the difference.  Now could the
rest be due to "price gimmickry"?  Meaning the bit where (in N.A.
at least) things are always priced at $10.99 or $12.99, but
usually never like $2.67.  So if they took the Danish price,
converted, added their exchange rate buffer (and excessive to
be sure) and came out with something like L2.04, are then then
moving it up to L2.99 or some such thing?  The lower the item
price, the bigger percentage difference this would create.

Good answer. Price gimmickry might play it's part . The set is priced £10.99 after all

However, they have 'My own train' sets at 18.75, and 12.50.

I would certainly counter their response with a few more questions.

Well I have pointed to them the points I raised in the previous post. That currency flux is 10%, not 20%, that their
prices are NOT consistent across the euro zone, and that other Lego sets in the UK are only typically 11% more expensive
than Germany

Personally, I think someone hit the wrong button on the calculator when setting the price for this.
It just sticks out like a sore thumb that this set is twice the price difference compared to others, no matter what
country you compare it against.

Of course, whether Lego would ever own up to that and set the price correctly.....

Regards
lawrence