 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2956
Re: Why the high proce in UK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:42:50 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GG8oF6.1tD@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.lego.direct, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Well, that may not be the best example to cite because in many cases,
someone DID think the californians ought to pay more!!! We have all sorts of
pricing disparities from state to state in the US. A tiny minority are due
to transportation but by and large, it's due to different states having
different taxes or regulatory environments.

But there is no different taxes or regulatory environments that affect this.
Tax is charged locally. I pay Danish VAT whether I order from UK or Germany
I pay the transportation. The products are shipped by independent carrier and I pay the full (in fact inflated) postal
costs

Note I am not claiming that is the explanation here (I thought taxes were
actually a bit LOWER in the UK than they are in Germany), just saying that
the example you cited isn't perfect.

As I said, there is no tax difference. it is Danish tax for everyone.
That is the way the EU works. you pay tax at the rate in the retailers country, not your recieving country.

No, this is Lego simply deciding to charge the UK more. For no reason other than they think they can make more profit.

And I think the price differences in this case violate EU rules. But I need to check. I think it is something like no
more than 10% variation in price across member states (before taxes, etc). But that could be 10% from the average which
allows a 20% spead, which in this case is the difference.

regards
lawrence