 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2965
Re: Why the high proce in UK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:50:44 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

As I said, there is no tax difference. it is Danish tax for everyone.
That is the way the EU works. you pay tax at the rate in the retailers country, not your recieving country.

What's the currency story?  Are there large fluctuations between the
currencies you're talking about?  By having fixed prices in both
currencies, is LEGO trying to do something that represents exchange
rates averaged over a time?  And thus at today's rates maybe that
is causing a discrepancy?

KDJ

here's an interesting point of view....I've taken International "Global"
accounting in university (in 1997) and I still remember portion of the class
(no I didn't sleep in or try to ditch class...actually got a "B")
anyways....companies have to account for gains and losses on currency
exchange in their financial statements in "other income and losses"....
maybe Lego was "hedging" or minimizing their losses by having a fixed
rate of exchange ===> adding it to the cost of shipping....
just my "educated" opinion!!

Benjamin Medinets