 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2966
Re: Why the high proce in UK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:49:45 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GGA22M.ExD@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.lego.direct, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

LEGO no longer has any UK employees to take your orders over the phone or be
involved in any other way in this?

Yes there is a call centre in the UK.
But I am ordering over the internet - though I realise I would still be funding the UK call centre.
But that still wouldn't justify 20%.
It is only the call centre
Fulfillment is still from Denmark.

And if I understand Micheal correctly, and I think he is right, the call centre for ALL the european countries is in the
UK anyway.

with the same taxes?

Are you saying that nothing else in Ripoff Britain suffers from this problem?

Yes, in the main

Because most times when people are complaining about rip off Britain it is hard to make the comparison because the
product is being supplied and bought locally (even if manufactured abroad) and therefore incurres significant UK
specific costs (labour, fuel, retail space, etc).

Whereas in this case, everything is done in Denmark and therefore incurres the same cost to Lego regardless of the
country the purchaser is located in.
And as the purchaser incures all the shipping costs, the price ought to be the same.

So you cannot compare this situation to Cars, Hi-Fi or CDs as they are supplied locally in each country.
And I can fully understand why Lego in shops would be a different price in UK to another country.
But I think Lego have a hard time justifying this one.
It is simply they decided to charge the UK more.

Now there could be some edging against currency fluctuations, as neither Denmark or the UK are in the Euro zone. But
unless Lego know something the entire worlds economists and financiers know that wouldnt be 20%.

The 10014 is something of an exception. Which remember this thread is about.
This is 20% more expensive than Germany
Whereas the rest of the shop at home exclusives tend to be around 11% more expensive in the UK

regards
lawrence