 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2953
Re: Why the high proce in UK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:59:30 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Well you can construct an arguement as to why a product would be more >expensive in another continent. Different
packaging, additional transportation, local labour, a distribution centre, >and of course local economics.
But it is harder to do this when it is the same shipping centre (I think), >and in the same economic zone.
It is almost the equivalent of saying California residents have to pay 20% >more than New York folk, even though they are
both being supplied from Texas. For no other reason than someone just thought >the Californians ought to pay more.

Well, that may not be the best example to cite because in many cases,
someone DID think the californians ought to pay more!!! We have all sorts of
pricing disparities from state to state in the US. A tiny minority are due
to transportation but by and large, it's due to different states having
different taxes or regulatory environments.

In the US, national distributors don't typically charge different costs
state to state, though. But that means they make more profit in low tax states.

Note I am not claiming that is the explanation here (I thought taxes were
actually a bit LOWER in the UK than they are in Germany), just saying that
the example you cited isn't perfect.

++Lar