 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1400
Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:44:45 GMT

Lester Witter wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Gary Istok writes:

Now this building I just described will look ugly as sin, but I will get
all the parts I want, and use them to build the buildings that I really
want.  And even though I will be paying a premium for the pieces, I
won't have to buy 2x4 bricks in white at 20
cents each.  My own building designs will still be MINE.

Ding!  This is why people's fears at giving LEGO the ability to market their
models are bunk.  If you figure out what pieces you need, you can create
instructions for an ugly "alternate model", and build the real model when you
get the parts.  You may have given LEGO the right to sell the alternate model
(depending on what the user agreement says), but you haven't done anything
about your real model.

Two things LEGO would be very wise to do:

1) Include some kind of box you can check to make this reselling of models a
non-issue.  IE, by checking a box when submitting your custom set, you can
inform LEGO that you don't want them to consider selling that set themselves.

2) Find some way to store completed instructions, so that if I decide I really
like my design, I don't have to re-assemble it in LEGO's software again, I can
just upload the version I did before and order it.

eric

If LEGO offers a free program that does LEGO/CAD, It would probably have to run
locally and store the model design locally. The only thing that would actually
have to be transmitted to LEGO is the parts list. So the program would have a
"Generate parts list" button and a "send parts list to TLG" button and TLG
using  the model would be a non-issue.

It sounds like this method could be useful for bulk orders as well.  All you would
have to do is stack up the parts/colors you want (via LEGO/CAD) without having to
assemble them into a structure.  The whole "building" issue could be moot.

Gary Istok

Quote of the day:  "What is it with those people in Florida?  They can stamp 50
Bingo cards at once, but can't punch a hole thru a ballot."