 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1415
Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:28:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jon Kozan writes:

Why force people to have to build it at all first - just let them order what
they want from a list and have the computer model as an alternative for
creating instructions if they want to use it.

The whole thing with forcing people, via computer, to make instructions is
rooted in the "sell 1000's to kids who need instructions" mindset. It leaks
into the MOSAIC project...

LEGO definately needs to get beyond that.

Thank heavens we don't have to design some model and get instructions just to
have the right to buy bulk packs.

-Jon

I agree just let us order what we want from the list.  Why must people be
forced to either give away a design before they even have a chance to build
it for themselves or go through time consuming machinations to protect their
intellectual property.

Isn't this the whole idea to encourage  imagination and creativity ... the
bricks themselves inspire.  Creations evolve, they don't spring fully formed
from my mind.

I think this opportunity to customize a tub of bricks is even more important
for children than adults.  Children are the original thinkers ouside of the
box.  Adults are the ones that keep shoving the kids into boxes.  Stay in
line, color inside the line, do it this way...follow the instructions.
-IMHO, it is the parent buying the set for the child that wants the
instructions, not the child...  Children want to choose their supplies as
well as decide what to do with them.  Adults are the ones who keep asking
*what is it?*  Well, the truth is it doesn't have to be *anything* to be of
value.  Everything doesn't have to have a label.

sheree