 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1395
1394  |  1396
Subject:
Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:00:11 GMT

I am cautiously optomistic about this entire revelation, but I am
skeptical about whether or not they will have an extensive part/color
inventory for us to use.  If so, here is a scenario that I would
consider:

---------------------
For those of you who have visited my website, you know I have used a lot
of rare parts in many of my buildings, and in large quantities.  Just
like some of you have used the Mosaic set to maximize getting examples
of the new light gray, I will probably also be creating a computer
model, but NOT of my final design (why on earth would I want to build a
model with lots of 2x4 bricks in common colors, when they will cost me a
premium).  No, I will build an image that maximizes the parts that I
want.

Here's an example of an image of a 4 story building, which I would
consider buying the (rare) pieces for:

A building with the first floor that has as its' walls all 1x4x5 yellow
windows, with the corners containing 2x2x3 steep slope corner bricks in
gray.  Then there will be a few layers of light blue bricks between the
1st and 2nd floors.  The 2nd floor will consist of a wall of 1x4x5 green
windows.  Above that I would have a few layers of purple bricks.  The
3rd floor will consist of a wall of 1x2x2 gray windows.  Above that I
would have a few layers of antique green (verdigris) bricks, and then
the 4th floor
would consist of a wall of 1x2x2 black windows.  Above that I would have
a level of pale red bricks, and then a hip roof of low slope bricks in
yellow, with yellow 3x3 corner bricks.  The peak will consist of purple
2x2 tiles.

Now this building I just described will look ugly as sin, but I will get
all the parts I want, and use them to build the buildings that I really
want.  And even though I will be paying a premium for the pieces, I
won't have to buy 2x4 bricks in white at 20
cents each.  My own building designs will still be MINE.

But if somehow I were give the incentive to create a building that I
would get some kind of royalty or commission from TLC for it (if other
people saw it and wanted a copy and parts for it), then that is an
entirely different matter.  Then I would try to create a masterpiece (or
as close as I can get), and eat the cost of common color
parts, if the potential for personal profit exists.
--------------------------------

Another thing about the building instructions for the sets from 1955
onward.  The early years were rather skimpy in building instructions.
You will not be "spoon fed" building instructions like you are today
(row by row of LEGO).  You might get a
building showing 4 stages of construction, and that is it.  It leaves
something to your imagination as to how the back of many of these early
buildings will look. (I say buildings, since Town was the only system
from 1955-65.)

And another thing about the old sets from 1955-73.  They all used the
classic scale in building (no minifigs), and had only classic windows,
some of which haven't been produced in over 20 years.  Of the 9 classic
styles all but the 1x2x2 have been retired for at least 10 years.

Just some things to think about.

Gary Istok