 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1426
Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:50:11 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:

If TLC is smart, they will have the input be a parts list, and then tell
us how to upload just a parts list. Why go to any effort of having a
complete model when we're just going to work around it,

Because some of use aren't so uptight about model designs that we feel the need
to "protect" them from TLC, and would actually very much *like* to have
instructions for our models, without having to suffer through an anitquated
home-brewed CAD program to create them.

eric

A bit harshly worded there, but basically I agree. If I was able to create
something real nice (which I don't think has happened yet) I too would like
a set of instructions for it, because although I was able to as a kid to
assemble the 850 from memory, and other sets as well (I had to, because I
usually fed the instructions to the dog:)) I can't do that anymore, so when
I occasionally comes up with something that my four year old son thinks is
rather cool, then I have to preserve that model for ages while I create a
dat of it, and then work like a madman to get the right angles, trace the
thing, and finally print the sheets (I'm not one of those who likes to build
next to my computer), and it's exactly here the various cad programs are
lacking in capabilities. OTOH I can easily understand Larry and his fellow
smiths, who are trying to run a business, and would like to protect his
designs, but honestly: What would a bricksmith design cost if Lego should
market it? Exactly: Ouch a lot. So the designs really needing protection
would be clever small designs, not the large extremely detailed ones, at
least not IMHO.

Back to the cad soft. Why not try to think two years into the future? To do
that we'd need to think two years back. What was the average bandwith a
Internet user had available then? And what is it now? And the big question,
what will it be in two years? My gues: Quite enough to have the cad soft be
some sort of a client/server solution, with an extremely stupid client. How
else should they make sure that the users had the entire range of bricks
available at all times? And perhaps more important, how else could they
protect their bricks?

Hmmm my 25C is long gone, but that's about it:)

regards
John