 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1395
  Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

I am cautiously optomistic about this entire revelation, but I am skeptical about whether or not they will have an extensive part/color inventory for us to use. If so, here is a scenario that I would consider: ---...--- For those of you who have (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Ding! This is why people's fears at giving LEGO the ability to market their models are bunk. If you figure out what pieces you need, you can create instructions for an ugly "alternate model", and build the real model when you get the parts. (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) If LEGO offers a free program that does LEGO/CAD, It would probably have to run locally and store the model design locally. The only thing that would actually have to be transmitted to LEGO is the parts list. So the program would have a (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) It sounds like this method could be useful for bulk orders as well. All you would have to do is stack up the parts/colors you want (via LEGO/CAD) without having to assemble them into a structure. The whole "building" issue could be moot. Gary (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) You'd have to trust the program, of course -- that it wouldn't sneakily upload the model as well as the parts list. If you don't have the source code to the program or you aren't able to reverse-engineer it, lord knows what it's doing. --Todd (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) ...which goes back to the idea of designing a "dummy model" out of the parts you want, and sending that. You get the parts you want, and TLC comes nowhere near the model you don't want them to have. eric (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Why force people to have to build it at all first - just let them order what they want from a list and have the computer model as an alternative for creating instructions if they want to use it. The whole thing with forcing people, via (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Agreed. It just seems a waste of effort, because presumably first you had to design the real one to find out what parts you needed (or build a real one, but in either case, divine the needed parts). Someone may write a mixmaster program to (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) I agree just let us order what we want from the list. Why must people be forced to either give away a design before they even have a chance to build it for themselves or go through time consuming machinations to protect their intellectual (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

In lugnet.lego.direct, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes: <snip> (...) Just a little story to reenforce this. When I was little my parents got me my first set of LEGO. Don't remember what it was but the got it from Sears mail order and it came in a plain (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) I agree to some extent... I think the parents are very much to blame for this, though. I mean, who actually buys LEGO? Parents do, and most of them steer clear of the Classic line in favor of flashy themes. It's really interesting to listen to (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Could be useful even with the below. Would also be simple. Just take the parts list and line em up. (...) Assuming they don't create a contract which gives them any rights automatically, the "sufficient trust" need not be much more than a well (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Yes! I meant to state this yesterday but I forgot. Many thanks Jon for nailing the issue so well with one stroke. Sell us the elements in bulk, or to order, and let us worry about the designs... -- Richard (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Ahh, yes. Another use for the scrambler. Give it the parts list you want, and have it emit a model using them to upload to TLC to place your order. If TLC is smart, they will have the input be a parts list, and then tell us how to upload just (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Because some of use aren't so uptight about model designs that we feel the need to "protect" them from TLC, and would actually very much *like* to have instructions for our models, without having to suffer through an anitquated home-brewed CAD (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Well, the data format is a bit arcane but I'm not sure I'd characterise MLCad (to pick my favorite) as "antiquated"... it's pretty slick. But that's just my opinion, of course. It's been years since I last played with AutoCAD. I'd ask this, is (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) I have to admit, my LEGO CAD experience is limited to a single program. I picked what appeared to be the most popular and best supported, and dove in. Way too user-unfriendly, IMHO, so I didn't bother to check out what seemed to be the bit (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) But, from TLC's perspective, they need to *market* their product. A bunch of bulk bricks is low on the excitement scale for the GP. In fact, it looks like work! But selling a cool model or set, packaging it with flashy photos, colors, and (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) A bit harshly worded there, but basically I agree. If I was able to create something real nice (which I don't think has happened yet) I too would like a set of instructions for it, because although I was able to as a kid to assemble the 850 (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Which one? If you say "LDraw" I swear I am gonna give Tim Courtney 100 lashes with a wet noodle next time I see him. www.ldraw.org puts WAY too much emphasis on ldraw itself which is arcane, hard to use, and well, antiquated. Oh, and did I (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) If you had read my whole note, you would have seen that I'm not saying TLC shouldn't have a CAD program (I think they should), what I'm saying is that the data file should not be the input to the parts ordering, that should just be a parts (...) (24 years ago, 7-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Hello - anyone ?!? Who do you think is going to make the program for this thing? Let's see?... Eric Harshbarger ... ????!!! Isn't he responsible for the Mosaic program...?!?! Isn't he the guy who LEGO features in their newsletter? Isn't he the (...) (24 years ago, 8-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)

  Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002

(...) Sorry, I can see now that I was a bit unclear here... It wasn't an idea, but a fear:) If Lego is going to let us play digitally with every brick they have (and I'm actually not sure they are) you can be certain that they will go to some (...) (24 years ago, 9-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general)