 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1091
Re: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer™ User Agreement (was: Re: New stuff at shop.lego.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:46:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Todd Lehman writes:
[Quoting Brick-O-Lizer User Agreement]
UA> All rights under copyright in any new material added by LEGO in
UA> connection with preparing the final LEGO Mosaic product are owned and
UA> retained by the LEGO Group.

However, doesn't the above give LEGO the exclusive and unlimited right to
use any final product I create with the Brick-o-Lizer™ in any way it sees
fit, while completely preventing me from doing the same?

Uh, no.  It just means that if LEGO puts some of their copyrighted material
into the final product, they retain copyright.

My concern is that LEGO might try to argue that the final brick configuration
from the dithering algorithm was part of the "new material" added by LEGO in
connection with preparing the final product.

I suppose this will restrict what you do with the mosiac, since TLC could
potentially hold copyright on some portions.  But, I *assume* they're
asserting copyright to elements of the *instructions* and elements of the
elements.

Could you then create your own LDraw version of the mosaic and not be in
violation of the BoL UA?

Not elements of your picture, because you have copyright to the
picture.

In other words, you read it as saying they're not claiming a derivative
copyright but rather a copyright on the _difference_ between the final
and the original?  Or not even that, but just a copyright on the portion
they give you which allows you to physically build the mosaic?

--Todd