 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / *4284 (-20)
  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

This reminds me of the current practice of theatres selling the best seats at the prevailing scalper price. The profit goes directly to the producer that way. -Erik happy with A0941 or whatever it was. (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

(...) For the record, I feel that LD makes brilliant marketing moves. And with the Super Chief, they are carving out a whole new market. It's impressive to watch. (...) I too hope LD employees don't take consumer comments personally. (...) I don't (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

(...) No, icky that: (...) I can imagine many potential reasons why LD wouldn't rcv the profits, but my question was meant literally. (...) No. Well, I think that's up to subjective judgement. But, assuming your question was aimed, at least in part, (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

(...) *sigh* I assume this refers to me? Let's be clear on this, I have no problem with anyone giving time or money to any worthy cause - I do both. My "insensitive" comments related to those who wish to benefit themselves by giving a token amount (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

(...) Roger Roger to all of the above. (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

(...) Understood. I just think it would be nice for younger fans (and those who don't have the time or patience to translate a photo to a model) to be able to get instructions and parts inventory for the display base. It is a pretty neat base LD put (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

(...) With the hope of more to come. :-) (...) I can do without the interest introduced by Galidor, but I digress. (...) Not sure I agree. The parts will be freely available since once the numbered edition is done (and it seems to be done now), (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

(...) I think the display base is glued up to avoid any need for instructions. That's what Jake's note that you're quoting says, anyway. (the note speaks of it being glued in two sections for ease of shipping, presumably one section is the vertical (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

Jake, I really like the display base designed for the Super Chief in this auction. Great work. I understand it increases costs to produce and print an instruction book for these extremely limited editions. And given an hour or two, I'm sure the (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

(...) Welcome back. (...) Me too. (although I sent a copy of MTW-4001 to the executives at Skyline Chili, I put #01 up for bid, just as I always do with new sets) (...) Exactly. The alternative that Rick gave of having some 7 year old get it would (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

(...) Ditto Jake. Just ignore the people whining about you doing the auctions as Brad previously announced, it is probably a case of sour grapes. Jude (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

"Rick Clark" <jrclark@nospam.aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:3CAAC42B.300060...aol.com... (...) but (...) Rick, I admit my fault here: I didn't know this was their original plan, and didn't realize it was clearly stated from the beginning. (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

(...) Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I don't see it as being "obvious". One would have to see the balance sheet to say that (I wonder who audits the accounts?). (...) Hardly out on a limb - a limited production run set which fits in well with (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

(...) A violation of which rules? Doesn't a numbered, limited edition of anything automatically *create* rarity? Seems to me that most numbered, limited editions don't even offer the #1 unit to the public, preferring to give it to the president of (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

I guess I'm breaking my self-imposed rule of not 'discussing' on LUGNET here - I try only post to get information out to the public and to praise creations - but here goes. (...) I totally agree. (...) Yep. I think its obvious LEGO Direct is doing (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

Jake - Very very cool!! :-) Though my pockets aren't deep enough to afford something as rare as Super Chief 0001, I think this is a neat idea and I encourage you guys to keep stuff like this up. -Tim (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

(...) Icky that a company would auction their own products? How so? (...) Why wouldn't they? (...) Is that a bad thing? (...) My catalogs don't seem to mention anything about how many were produced, nor how many will be available. (...) You've never (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

I don't speak for LEGO, but I may be able to get close to the answers to some of your questions: (...) If this works out (which it certainly seems to be doing), as many one-of-a-kind sets as the market will bear, and that it is profitable for them (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LD's Auctions (Re: Going once, going twice, sold!)

(...) I totally agree with Suz, and find this very disturbing. These are items whose "rarity" is totally artificial, coming from a planned commercial operation rather than from actual market movements, and IMHO this is a violation to the rules. Is (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Going once, going twice, sold!

LEGO Direct (and Jake in particular) has earned a lot of credit in our AFOL community. To me this is the only explanation why first reactions to this announcement weren't severely critical. LEGO, both Billund and Direct, have been doing quite (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.lego.direct)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact