 Harry Potter / 62
Re: minifigures in robes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 07:48:39 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Jonathan Lill writes:
I have been wondering whether they are going to make robed minifigures like
harry and friends at school or Dumbledore. With some I can see them getting
away with a cape but otherwise it seems hard to avoid. And would they do it
like the castle matrons? An ugly solution in my opinion.

I can see lego making a broomstick with a pinched middle allowing a
minifigure to straddle it and a robe would ruin this.

Any ideas on how they could do it?

Jonathan

I think it will be nearly identical to the method used to do Star Wars
mini-figures.  Most of the Jedi had robes, and LEGO examples used the
cape/hood/printed torso and leg design.  I doubt it will be much of a
problem or that they would do anything to alter the designs that they've
used in the past.

On the broom, betcha a dollar that they use the old Fright Knight broom.  In
the books, Harry and company must hold onto the brooms with one hand, so the
existing LEGO broom will suffice.  Same with wands and trunks.  Personally,
I'd like some books.

New challenges to the LEGO builders:  Turbins, printing on front and back of
mini-fig heads, how to make a multi-headed beast, big Hagrid with bushy
beard and, as I said, books.

I think that there is much that LEGO has done in the past that they can
apply to this series as long as they think a bit.  HOPEFULLY, the Potter
theme will do for us AFOLs what the Star Wars theme did.  What is that?
Well, nicely designed models with lots of old-school design and few junior
parts.  Should bring the rest of those other people out there out of their
Dark Age, if done correctly.
Aaron West, Captain LSF Ertbergle (makes me sound important, yesno?)