 Harry Potter / 63
Re: minifigures in robes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 12:54:59 GMT

HOPEFULLY, the Potter
theme will do for us AFOLs what the Star Wars theme did.  What is that?
Well, nicely designed models with lots of old-school design and few junior
parts.  Should bring the rest of those other people out there out of their
Dark Age, if done correctly.

Well, I'm not so sure.

I think nostalgia is important for a lot of AFOLs. AFOLs show a strong
preference for "olden days" Lego :-)
We like Star Wars because we all went to the movies and saw it; it's part of
our youth and part of our nostalgia. Who can forget sitting in the cinema
and seeing that giant Imperial cruiser glide overhead for what seemed like
forever in the opening credits? <further nostalgic ramblings suppressed>

Harry Potter has swept the children's reading by storm, and has permeated
the adult world to some extent through parents and teachers, but is it
sweeping adult reading by storm? I'm not so sure. Certainly, Harry Potter is
not part of an AFOL's misty-eyed nostalgia.

I think the  Harry Potter Lego theme probably will have a lot more
pull-factor for children than for adults for that reason.

I'm not saying that I won't buy this theme. If it's good design with good
parts, I'll be buying it. But I probably won't be buying it for the "Harry
Potter" brand name. However, I'm already out of my Dark Ages. My Lego-buying
knows no shame any more :-)

Will the Harry Potter theme bring AFOLs out of their Dark Age? No, I don't
think so. I know Mindstorms brought a lot of us home (myself included). I
think robotics is "adult" enough to get people past that mental hurdle of
buying "kid's toys" for themselves. But being a children's story character,
Harry Potter doesn't really offer an adult-entry back into Lego.

Kerry

--
Kerry Raymond