 General / 8871
Re: Bulk Ordering Allowed in USA!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 02:26:30 GMT

Not to be argumentative but,
I think it is a little more difficult than you are stating.

I think someone had already mentioned, the plastic is quite warm,
(hot even) when it comes out of the mold.  Thermal expansion may
(I'm no engineer) be a factor in the design of the mold. That is to say,
if you exactly duplicate the dimensions of a room temperature brick
in the mold, you will probably find that your finished brick will be too
small to connect properly with "real" bricks.

I would love to see a project like this succeed, and would hate to see
several thousand dollars worth of design and machining/edm work
end up producing incompatible bricks.  I worked in a mid sized machine
shop for quite a while, and saw plenty of disasters that "should" have
worked
except for some small overlooked detail.

It is probably possible to calculate the expansion coefficient (sp?) and
factor that into the mold design, but I doubt that it is a trivial task.

just my two cents,
:?) bishop

James Powell wrote in message ...
Snip.

It really isn't all that hard to -make- a mold that will work.  We need • someone
with access to a EDM machine (I don't have access to one) and a CAD file • with
the dimensions of the object you want to copy.  Getting the molding done is
also possible.  Someone want to look into it?  The biggest problem that I • can
see is that the parts might be copyrighted.  They cannot be patented (since • all
you are copying is the stud design, and that is now fair game) When did the
train windows first appear?

James Powell