 General / 8792
Re: Bulk Ordering Allowed in USA!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 00:48:13 GMT

Why don't we just order our own "LUGNET" promotional set?
I wonder what the minimum is for that sort of thing...

:)

--
Asher

In lugnet.general, Mike Poindexter writes:
I have finally received the "priviledge" of ordering bulk from Lego USA.  I
know that to all Lego fans in the US, this is THE Holy Grail.  Well, as far as
grails go, it is the cup of a carpenter and not laden with jewels.

I had spoken with several people in Lego and finally was able to track down
the actual person who makes the decision on bulk sales.  (I will not divulge
his/her name to prevent a deluge of requests to said person).  I was never
told to keep this confidential and so here I am, telling you.

IT CAN BE DONE!!!

Also, I feel I should let you in on another secret...

IT ISN'T WORTH IT!!!

I was told that no specialized pieces were available.  Only basic bricks and
plates were available.  So I made some TOUGH decisions on what I could afford
to buy and what I wanted, which were nowhere near close.  After a lot of
thought and some discussion with my wife and another unnamed AFOL, I felt that
I had chosen wisely.

I had ordered the equivalent of 50 plate packs in light blue, teal, light
gray, dark gray, tan and brown.  I also ordered several thousand pieces of
basic bricks in all the above colors, with the exception of light gray, of
which I ordered almost 50,000 bricks and also added pink bricks to the list
(2,600 of them).  Finally, I topped it out with 42,000 clear and transparent
light blue 2x4 bricks, plus a few thousand pieces in other sizes.

I sent in exact descriptions of the colors so that no misunderstanding was
possible and also left in alternate colors if my choice wasn't available (any
other transparent if lt. blue wasn't available, any other pastel Bellville
color in place of Light Blue).

I also said I was willing to wait indefinitely for the items.  All I wanted
was the ability to at some time in the future be able to have them.

My response from Lego came today.  Not one item I had asked for was
available.  At all.  Bulk ordering would only be possible for bricks that are
available in a freestyle bulk brick tub.  Only available in the primary
colors. (Not even green!)  At 6 cents per piece.

Since I needed 2x4 and 2x2 bricks, I did some math.  A tub contains 120 2x4
bricks and 200 2x2.  That is 320 bricks I need per tub.  $19.60 for them from
Lego, $19.99 from WalMart or Toys R Us.  And from the local stores, I get the
remaining 880 bricks for 39 cents.  Not exactly what I would call a good
deal.  In fact, it was like being let into heaven and then told that it wasn't
any better inside here than it was outside.

So here I am, one of the only people that could buy bulk from Lego and I would
rather go shopping at Toys R Us.

One positive note that I can leave you with:

They mentioned that they might do this through Shop at Home.  I said that I
would rather see them offer 400 piece or larger buckets of colors that you
can't get elsewhere.  Light blue, clear, brown, tan, etc.  I told them that
once they wer posted on the Internet, they would sell like hot cakes.  I
informed them of Busy Bee selling 300 hopper cars in 2 days after a newsgroup
posting.  I told them that we are out here, all looking for what I am asking
for - bricks and plates in bulk in colors that are next to impossible to
find.  Perhaps, if we are lucky, the message might have finally reached the
right place.  Maybe, just maybe, we will soon be able to buy light gray
plates, buckets of tan or light blue elements, packs of clear bricks, etc.

Mike Poindexter