 General / 8160
Re: It's Time AFOL Take Action!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:42:46 GMT

I believe that you can add (even via mail) a "Followup-To: lugnet.general"
to your message headers and it would do what you wanted.

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 09:59:35AM +0000, Ian Sinclair wrote:
LEGO should be marketing sets to adults.

I would like to point out that I think what we all want isn't adult legos,
but rather sets that don't insult the intelligence of the person who plays
with it.  A good toy will be as interesting to an adult as it is to the
child.

Look at all the classics:  Yo-yos, dolls, etc.

The good ones are fun for adults too.  The bad ones only hold a kids
interest for a short time.

The LEGO Group had better modernize its operations, marketing and
approach to the Internet and adult builders damn quick.

In some ways, I fear they have.  Did you know that car seats are designed
to be comfortable for the first few minutes, at the expense of long term
comfort?  Makes you test drive okay, but not a long trip.

Did you know that MS picked the Win95 interface from 3 different ones
because it was neat to play with in a store or demo environment?  At the
expense of long term usage.

It's called the '15 minute' test.  If someone plays with something for 15
minutes, that's all you care about, as you've made a sale by that time.

Movies do it, magazines do it.  Why shouldn't LEGO?

Well... if you think that LEGO should stand for more integrity than that,
then you would think they shouldn't.

This is a cultural shift, making the appearance more important than the
reality.  And the scary thing is that America has been leaking this into
other cultures.

Which begs the question:  Is it therefor what we want?

Ciao!

--
Eschew Obfuscation.

The Doctor What: A really hip dude               http://docwhat.gerf.org/