 General / 13537
Re: Why SW isn't Jr-ized? (was Re: It's Time AFOL Take Action!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:18:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.build, Patrick Leahy writes:
PS.  Star Wars appears to be the exception.  I hope that TLG realizes that
the set design means as much (if not more) to their goods sales as does the
Star Wars license.  The Star Wars line also shows that TLG can produce good
sets (piece-wise and design-wise) at affordable prices.  Hopefully, this
catches back on to other themes.
IMO, if TLG doesn't cut it out with the "sell to the impatient ones" plan
soon, kids will become more and more used to it, until the whole thing is
screwed.  I think TLG is making the kids impatient by getting them used to
such juniorized faliures of sets as they've been selling recently.  I do
agree entirely, however, that the Star Wars sets are still excellent. Perhaps
those are their sets for AFOLs?

It occures to me to wonder: Perhaps the SW sets aren't Jr-ized because LEGO
could be certain of selling enough to make a good profit, even with a narrower
margin?
Perhaps LEGO's market analysis indicates that in general they need to have X
%profit to make money on a given set, which is what drives the lower piece
counts and simplified constrution.  Knowing they would sell enough of the SW
sets to make a good profit even with a lower margin allowed them more leeway
in the design. Just a thought...
James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

I've been wondering why the Star Wars sets remain unaffected as well. It may be
due in part to the control that the merchandising division of Lucasfilm exerts
over TLC's designs. I've read that many of the toys that Hasbro/Kenner produces
are closely reviewed by Lucasfilm for quality and realism. But that doesn't
mean that there isn't a lot of crappy merchandise out there with Star Wars
branded on it.

The higher quality toys seem to come from the companies that have greater
visiblity and market penetration, so there may be a tighter control over the
toys they produce.

Jim