 General / 6181
  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) WAIT!! Here's the problem. If Lego offers any sort of bulk ordering, then people (like me) would _stop_ buying large quantities of identical sets. I would still buy one or two of each for myself, but most of my money would be pooled into parts (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) You are partially right, at least the way I see it. True, some people, such as AFOLs would stop buying sets just for pieces. But you forgot about kids. I think that some ten year old kid would much rather have something like a Ninja fortress (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

I disagree. They would still be making money, whether it came from SAHBO (Shop At Home Bulk Orders) or TRU. Scott Sanburn (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) No, all you need to have is a scheme underwhich bulk ordering is as profitable or more profitable than selling sets. That will probably mean that the price per piece on bulk orders is higher than that in a set (but we know the market is (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in article <snip> (...) <snip> (...) What do you guys mean with "cannibalization of the retail market"? (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

Yes, and the other point here is that THEY would be making ALL of the money, not selling it to TRU at a near-zero profit margin because TRU buys so much. With bulk ordering, even though the operating costs will probably be higher, so will the (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) They're just saying that Lego might be concerned with the drop in sales that would result in Bulk Orders. Look at it this way: There are people who are willing to buy 20 of a set to get as many of a particular piece as they feel they need. If (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) are (...) You are right; this is the flaw in my arguement. The large numbers of sets we buy make us a meaningless customer base to TLG. So the question TLG must ask is: "Should we serve our meaningless customer base in the same fashion as all (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  TLG Market Research, was Re: Bulk Ordering

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 18:00:40 GMT, Lorbaat uttered the following profundities... (...) 8448 is a first for user-survey cards, so hopefully that will change. I don't know if these cards are present in the US version of the set, but they are in the UK (...) (25 years ago, 6-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) Sorry Tom, Naji is correct. 1) TRU really doesn't get a better deal on sets than most any other major retail outlet. You can check their cost on any set if you ask the store Director politely enough. Everyone gets sets at about 62% of MSRP (...) (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

You're not going to make me believe TRU pays the same as anyone else. They may show you a book, but that is most likely "store cost" (like a car dealers "invoice price"), not true cost to the TRU chain. Otherwise TRU wouldn't have been able to (...) (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(Posted to .market.shopping as well) So, TRU was pressuring TLG not to sell to others. Figures. >:( Well, I did see my first Lego product at Sam's Club the other day, it was that small laptop building table, with 225 BASIC pieces, and three sets, (...) (25 years ago, 10-Aug-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) Say, do stores ever get accrued discounts or rebates for large repeat purchases? Like, for every $1,000,000 you spend at 62% of MSRP, you're entitled to a $50,000 rebate or discount toward the next milestone? --Todd (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) That's beyond my experience, but if TRU accurately reflects their costs (other than administrative costs), I don't see it built into their "costs". I would guess LEGO doesn't do this though. -Jon (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.

(...) While it true that I can't "make you believe" anything ;-), I can however, tell you what I know. TRU's computer systems are somewhat closely guarded from customers and have plenty of information that even many store Directors don't know about. (...) (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.general)