 General / 6196
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:43:16 GMT

Naji Norder wrote:

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
here is how TLG could do bulk ordering:

<snip a rather logical ordering process>

it would wipe out the practice of buying a whole set to get a single part.

WAIT!!  Here's the problem.  If Lego offers any sort of bulk ordering, then
people (like me) would _stop_ buying large quantities of identical sets.  I
would still buy one or two of each for myself, but most of my money would be
pooled into parts orders.

We need to come up with a way of arguing for bulk orders _without_ any loss of
traditional set sales.  This might be possible for a few, special, hard-to-find
items like Larry's train windows, but I don't think Lego would allow bulk
orders of blue 1x4 tiles if it meant that everyone stopped buying Rain Dance
Ridge.  (If I could get the tiles, cylinders, and big plate separately then I
would stop buying that set.)

No, all you need to have is a scheme underwhich bulk ordering is as
profitable or more profitable than selling sets. That will probably mean
that the price per piece on bulk orders is higher than that in a set
(but we know the market is willing to pay more to get just the pieces we
want because we don't want to hassle with all the pieces we don't want).

There may be a secondary concern about canabalizing the retail market to
the point the retailers get pissed off (but I doubt that would happen).

I think a workable system could be managed under the following
conditions:

1. Selection of pieces is somewhat limited
2. Minimum quantities to order (1)

(1) item 2 will solve some of item 1

I suspect there would be little camabalization of the retail market
though. I know for me, my purchases of bulk are through sets on close
out.  I will still buy 1-4 copies of the sets I like for the unique
parts in them. The only change is that I might not buy as many sets on
clearance.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com