 General / 6399
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:00:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom Stangl writes:
Yes, and the other point here is that THEY would be making ALL of the money,
not selling it to TRU at a near-zero profit margin because TRU buys so much.

With bulk ordering, even though the operating costs will probably be higher,
so will the profits, since there would be no middleman, and selling the parts
at a retail price gets ALL the profit to TLG.

Scott Edward Sanburn wrote:
I disagree. They would still be making money, whether it came from SAHBO
(Shop At Home Bulk Orders) or TRU.

Naji Norder wrote:
WAIT!!  Here's the problem.  If Lego offers any sort of bulk ordering,
then people (like me) would _stop_ buying large quantities of identical >>
sets.

Sorry Tom, Naji is correct.
1) TRU really doesn't get a better deal on sets than most any other major
retail outlet.  You can check their cost on any set if you ask the store
Director politely enough.  Everyone gets sets at about 62% of MSRP (That's
about a 40% discount if you get the entire profit whacked off. This is why
KMart loves the 20% off promotion - they still keep 1/2 the potential profit
(BTW, splitting the profit is a long established retail practice as well)
2) TLG may make profit on bulk sales, but the profit margin HAS to be greater
than current activities.  AND, it cannot be.  Please see my other posting on
this point.
http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=6398
Naji's conclusion is the real heart of the problem on profit.
TLG has no profit motivation to serve us.

-Jon