 General / 6398
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:46:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryce McGlone writes:
One of the Model Makers I spoke to did say something interesing
though.  He said something to the effect of "we want people to think 'I could
probably build that...if I had enough pieces'"...sort of makes you think.

That sounds like they believe that they can make more $ selling the parts in
sets.  That way, the uninitiated will buy entire sets, and carry the cost of
the parts they don't want themselves.  Thus TLG sells far more than they would
if they just sold the parts people want.

Don't forget, the (adult?) LEGO crowd represented on LUGNET is a nit on the
market scale in TLG's vision.

To an earlier point, the returns simply cannot compare in selling separate
parts to those of selling complete sets.
1) There is a market here certainly
2) It is far, far too small
3) It doesn't offer adequate returns to service it.
3a)  Business speak: The NPV of the activity, while perhaps(???) positive, is
less than current activities, so, (if they were a public company), they would
be diluting their stock value.
Ergo...
We don't matter all that much

(Note a similar analagy could be drawn in the case of why McDonalds doesn't
offer home delivery,... No, better yet, Why McDonalds doesn't offer home
delivery of pickled pigs feet)

-Jon