 General / 6205
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:52:17 GMT

Yes, and the other point here is that THEY would be making ALL of the money, not
selling it to TRU at a near-zero profit margin because TRU buys so much.

With bulk ordering, even though the operating costs will probably be higher, so will
the profits, since there would be no middleman, and selling the parts at a retail
price gets ALL the profit to TLG.

Scott Edward Sanburn wrote:

I disagree. They would still be making money, whether it came from SAHBO (Shop
At Home Bulk Orders) or TRU.

Scott Sanburn

Naji Norder wrote:

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
here is how TLG could do bulk ordering:

<snip a rather logical ordering process>

it would wipe out the practice of buying a whole set to get a single part.

WAIT!!  Here's the problem.  If Lego offers any sort of bulk ordering, then
people (like me) would _stop_ buying large quantities of identical sets.  I
would still buy one or two of each for myself, but most of my money would be
pooled into parts orders.

We need to come up with a way of arguing for bulk orders _without_ any loss of
traditional set sales.  This might be possible for a few, special, hard-to-find
items like Larry's train windows, but I don't think Lego would allow bulk
orders of blue 1x4 tiles if it meant that everyone stopped buying Rain Dance
Ridge.  (If I could get the tiles, cylinders, and big plate separately then I
would stop buying that set.)

Naji