 General / 6206
Re: Darth Vader at K-mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:55:19 GMT

Lorbaat <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote in article
<FG1zMq.G1v@lugnet.com>...
In lugnet.general, Julie Krenz writes:
I went to K-mart yesterday and as soon as I walked in and took a left
to head to the Lego section - BOOM! There was a HUGE (at least 6 feet
tall)
Darth Vader guess the number of bricks display.

Do these contests (guess the number of bricks in this big huge model) • strike
anyone else as... well, really kinda difficult?

With the kind of contest it's based on- guessing the number of pennies in • a
jar, jellybeans, etc- the items you're trying to guess the number of are
relatively constant.  But the difference between the space taken up • inside the
model by, say, a 1x1 plate as opposed to a 2x8 brick is pretty large. • And
there's no way to tell what they decided to use internally.  And yeah, • those
two bricks are extreme examples, but when you consider that for every 2x4 • they
decide to use 2 2x2s to to take the place of you double the piece count • at a
constant volume...

I'm not complaining, it's a contest and it's free stuff and it's fun and • I'd
LOVE to see a 6 foot Vader.  It just strikes me that any entry is a shot • in the
dark.  No way to make an educated guess.

eric

Maybe they do it that way intentionally. This way everybody gets a fair
chance at winning, even 3 year old kids. (Well okay, maybe not a 3 year old
kid but you get the picture. :)
--
Regards,
Arjan Brugman