 General / 6208
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 18:00:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Arjan Brugman writes:

What do you guys mean with "cannibalization of the retail market"?

They're just saying that Lego might be concerned with the drop in sales that
would result in Bulk Orders.  Look at it this way:  There are people who are
willing to buy 20 of a set to get as many of a particular piece as they feel
they need.  If they could get the same pieces from Shop at Home, well... they
aren't going to be buying as many sets.

Of course, there are two flaws with that particular logic:

1) Most people who do that then sell the excess pieces in a secondary market.
All the people buying those would probably just turn to TLG for the parts, and
that would probably make up the difference.

2) The only people likely to do that (buy multiple sets for a singel piece) are
AFOLs... and we all know Lego knows they don't exist.  So they shouldn't see
any drop in sales, right?  Right, TLG?

eric