 General / 5738
Re: 8 millimeters or 5/16 inches? (was Re: Scales (Was: New Lego page!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:54:19 GMT

A whilo ago it struck me that the base unit of LEGO probably was defined in
inches not in mm. 1/16 inch is far more an obvious unit than 1.6 mm. This is
an interesting fact, because it reveals the British heritage of the LEGO
brick. So while TLG goes to great lengths to hush this heritage (and
stubbornly claims to be the only original [1]), it says so in the dimension
of every single part of the system. I planned to write an article on this
for my website, called 'The public secret of LEGO'  :-)

[1] Did you realize, the famousTLG brick patent concerned only *the tube
connectors* under the brick as an *improvement* to the existing brick, not
changing the brick idea, the studs or the dimensions.

Eric Brok
--------
Visit LEGO ON MY MIND:
http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind