 General / 5722
5721  |  5723
Subject:
8 millimeters or 5/16 inches? (was Re: Scales (Was: New Lego page!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:37:34 GMT

I've been looking for the discussions you alluded to but haven't found any yet.

The FAQ entry for this question is here:

  http://www.lugnet.com/faq/?n=376

and it doesn't actually answer the question asked (it gives ratios only, not
actual dimensions). Neither do the message threads it refers to.

In any case, the difference between 8 millimeters and 5/16 inches is about 1
percent, so it should be easy enough to resolve any such debate just by
measuring. For maximum accuracy, you would want to use construct a really long
chain entirely out of 1x16 or 2x16 bricks that overlap by 8 studs each time,
thus averaging the positions of 8 (or 16) studs at a time within each link of
the chain. I'll conduct the experiment when I get home :-)

- Robert Munafo

In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
[...]
The number I came up with is 384 : 1 -- assuming that the length of a 2 x 4
brick is 1.25 inches (1).
[...]
1.  Another, semi-related topic of debate which I have heard many times
before.  :-,