 General / 55814
Re: Mathematical proof that you can't build anything with LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:34:05 GMT

--snip--

   I should disclaim that I don’t feel very strongly about this, and it’s more of a light diversion for me than a serious argument. I’m much more concerned with the knuckleheads who refer to “Megablox” instead of the proper term Mega Bloks.

Oh I’m not taking it seriously at all ;) But I will fight for the linguistic differences between us and them (defined as the situation calls for).

I have never heard, outside of TV and my recent trip to the US, the bricks referred to as anything other than ‘LEGO’. And I’ve lived in both Australia and England. A kid refers to a LEGO set, or collectively to his LEGO. As a child I would visit my friend’s house to “play LEGO”. We do, however, naturally pluralise with an ‘s’.

So... how about this: Of the English-speaking population that might reasonably be anticipated to pluralize a word by adding an S on the end of it, nearly 70% of non-AFOLs use the term “LEGOs.”

Tim