 General / 55795
Re: Mathematical proof that you can't build anything with LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:06:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Don Rogerson wrote:
   I’m not sure TLC still does that. He just bought a couple of the 2012 Ninjago sets, and the instructions do not have any suggestions for alternate models. Instead, they have a large centerfold checklist of the various weapon accessories that can be collected. We may be seeing another shift taking place. Bionicle had an element of that collectible incentive, but it seems that with Ninjago it is central to the series. They use specialized pieces (minifigs and minifig accessories) sold only in certain sets as an incentive.

But is it a trend? Because at the same time, TLC does more than any other company to support the free-form use of its product. Rebrick and CUUSOO are the most recent efforts, but my son has been sending in snapshots of his creations for years hoping to get one in the LEGO Club magazine.

In terms of using specific elements as incentive to buy more sets, it certainly is a trend. They finally picked up on a complaint that the Star Wars fans have been voicing for ten years, which is that we wanted a wider variety of minifigs. Now just about every set that comes out has a unique minifig that you can’t get in any other set.