 General / 55787
Re: Mathematical proof that you can't build anything with LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:54:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Don Rogerson wrote:
   Dr. Mark Changizi claims that LEGO sets have reached a point where most of the pieces no longer fit other pieces. Sound crazy? Wait - there’s math...

I think he’s probably correct, from a certain perspective.

If you take (say) a Ninjago set that has 100 pieces, and compare it to a set from 1972 that has 100 pieces, he’s totally correct. There are almost undoubtedly MORE possibilities with the set from 1972, because the elements are more interchangeable.

Okay, yeah, from that specific perspective, I can see that he might have a point. A given set’s part assortment has indeed become more specialized, and especially for some of the smaller ones it might be much more difficult to build a back-of-the-box model. That said, yes, the Creator line skews much more towards the range of sets that were available when I was a little kid, but all they really had back then was a spread of parts in the five colors, bendy-arm maxi-figs, and a handful of wheels, windows, and doors. And when did my interest in LEGO sets really take off? When Space and Castle sets started showing up under the Christmas tree. I can think of at least half a dozen sets where I’ve bought more copies of each of them than I have of all basic brick buckets/boxes combined.