 General / 46693
Re: Too much Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:53:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
How much do you spend on Lego AND, more importantly, what's your bottom
line - how much Lego do you keep and what is the value of your collection?
What's the real average?

I spend £200/month, that's about $320/month or $3840/year.  This is mostly on
new Lego.

I divided my purchasing into three:
1. Urgent Needs.
2. General Needs.
3. Nice to Haves.

Urgent needs get bought at any price RRP or below.  If I'm that keen to get them
I'll buy second hand.  I like to keep these to a minimum.  General needs get
bought at the best discount I can get within about 6 months, in line with my
building plans - the phrase "that'll be useful for this model" occurs a lot,
escpecially when discounts are available!  Nice to Haves are more likely to get
bought at a discount, but maybe not at all since I don't need them.

My collection is close to 300,000 parts from over 1200 sets, with an insurance
value of over £20,000 ($32,000) (actual purchase cost about £18,000 ($28,900) at
the time each set was bought).  This has risen from 64000 parts in 1997.  Last
year I bought 60000 parts, spending £2230.  I have fun trying to store and use
so much, but that's another story.  I have found that I need to have twice as
much Lego as I use in models, since so much trial and error is involved in
building.

I don't have kids (nor any plans for them).
My wife prefers to be a Lego widow than a football or golf widow.  I try to keep
her involved in expenditure approval and in exhibitions of our trains.
I considered that someone supporting one of the UK's best soccer teams might
spend £5000/year to go to all their home, away and european matches (including
hotels and flights), so my expenditure is only half that.
I have never sold any Lego nor given it away.  If I learned to trust another
Lego enthusiast enough I might trade with them, but I would have to know them
quite well first.

I have always found that I need more of something.  I have model doodles waiting
for parts in order to continue building them.  I have up to 70 doodles at a
time.  I recently stocked up on pneumatics by buying 7 excavators.  This should
enable me to build a new generation of pneumatic robot without running out of
parts,

My collection is split as follows:
About half the quantity is technic, but half the cost is trains, due to the cost
of track, motors etc...
I am seeking to acquire more basic bricks in order to build railway scenery.
If you know how I can get Statues of Liberty really cheap then I'll buy 20 of
them!
There is no such thing as an average collection because we all have different
building interests.  I think I have an above-average AFOL collection, though it
is dwarfed by some people with 15,000,000 parts!
I think you have to use a good proportion of what you buy, or it becomes
meaningless.
Generally, you can never have too much Lego, though all the people you know and
love will keep saying you have too much.  Stick to your guns as I have for the
past 17 years, never let Lego become more important than people, buy Lego for
using, not for the sake of it and people will begin to respect your hobby!

Mark Bellis