 General / 46641
Re: Too much Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:24:37 GMT

"Ken Nagel" <knandjn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:HuzIv4.2305@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
The recent discussions about the color change and people's buying habits • got me
thinking about how much we as individuals spend on Lego.  In particular, • at
least a couple of people in this thread
(http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=46284) admitted to spending between
$2,000-$5,000 or more per year on Lego.  Frankly, this struck me as a • HUGE
amount of money to spend on Lego.

To each their own. Even the most extravagant Lego train hobbiest can't • hold a
candel to the modle train guys spending $300+ for a single locomotive.-Ken

Hmm, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that AFOLs don't have models
approaching or exceeding this price. Actually, we're more likely to have
structure models that exceed $1000 in cost (now you can spend hundreds of
dollars for structure models for traditional model railroading [and I own
some surprisingly expensive kits], but I think us AFOLs have that beat by
quite a bit, though it's possible a Fine Scale Miniatures kit unbuilt in
mint condition would reach into the $1000 range). Of course you're off by at
least one order of magnitude on the cost range a single locomotive can
reach, I've seen adds for $5000+ live steam models, and $300 is actually the
low end for brass locomotives.

As to the question asked... It really depends on what you do. I have a
collection of about 600k pieces. I have just about decided that that's about
the largest collection that's really practical to maintain, at least with
the sorting and storage methods that I use. There are collections in the
millions of bricks. These very large collections can support brickscaped
terrain for layouts. My mountain scene has ~200 BURPs in it, and is at least
2000 pieces, possibly exceeding 10,000 pieces.

Is my collection sane? I don't know. I probably should sell a bunch of it
off. I'm not sure what my minifig population is, but I doubt I could ever
use all of them. I've also got thousands of pieces that are totally
unnecessary for anything I might ever build. I have sold some off, but
selling pieces is just a pain.

Frank