 General / 46680
Re: Too much Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:01:30 GMT

Thomas Main wrote:

The recent discussions about the color change and people's buying habits
got me
thinking about how much we as individuals spend on Lego.  In particular,
at least a couple of people in this thread
(http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=46284) admitted to spending between
$2,000-$5,000 or more per year on Lego.  Frankly, this struck me as a HUGE
amount of money to spend on Lego.

For me that's about right, I average about 4000 Euro's a year (for the last
2-3 years) not counting stuff I resell.

how much Lego
do you keep and what is the value of your collection?  What's the real
average?

I keep about 90% of the stuff I buy these days, the sales are only to
partially cover costs of expanding my own collection. Value is impossible
to tell, just $0.12/part won't take into account stuff like MISB, rare
collectors sets etc etc. I never bother myself thinking on this.

So, what is the minimum amount of money/parts required to really fully
enjoy
this hobby?  For me, I've decided that 50,000 parts is nice.  But I could
make
do with less, I'm sure.  In fact, the parts that I've actually been using
to build with for the last few years total 35,000 (others are in sets -
yikes! that's a lot of parts in sets!!) and almost half that number is in
basic bricks. Is it easier to reduce the number of parts required if you
concentrate on one
type of building?  (say, eliminate Technic and trains if you build mainly
System
stuff)  In the end, how many parts could you comfortably build with?  I'd
like
to say 10,000.  That seems like such a nice, round figure.  It would be
neat to me to see if someone could build an element collection for around
$1000 that contained about 10,000 parts and have that become a standard
element collection. People would build from only those parts in those
quantities and see where that
would take the hobby.  Certain decisions would have to be made of course.
How many of the 10,000 would be basic bricks, what colors would be used
(using all would be too expensive), which specialty elements would be
chosen (not many
SPUDs, I imagine).  Does this idea have wings?  What are some alternate
thoughts about minimal, full collections?

There are no limits, top or bottom, it all depends on what you build.
I'm both builder and collector and thus have two separate collections of
bricks, my collection is around 120k bricks, and another such number
available for MOCs. (estimated, bought loads of eBay bulk auctions,
Pick-A-Brick and the likes. Never bother counting anything anymore, as long
as I'm not out it doesnt matter)

Look at this MOC for instance, AMAZING and so little bricks.
http://www.festum.de/1000steine/iscc/iscc3/entries/066/index.pl?search=1&header=id&method=exact

I recently purchased some Designer kits and put those in a separate bucket,
with which I sometimes play and let my imagination run wild. Reminds me of
being a kid, having to adjust your dreams to your amount of bricks. These
days usually it's the other way around.

For my own MOCs, I use pretty much all available colors (waiting for dark
blue to appear in large quantities in useable parts), specially grey's,
black and tan. And I use pretty much all shapes of bricks. My ISCC3 entry
used thousands of parts in dozens of colors and in many shapes. For me
10.000 parts total would be too much of a limit for me.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit