 General / 46657
Re: Too much Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:29:16 GMT

Hmm, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that AFOLs don't have models
approaching or exceeding this price. Actually, we're more likely to have
structure models that exceed $1000 in cost (now you can spend hundreds of
dollars for structure models for traditional model railroading [and I own
some surprisingly expensive kits], but I think us AFOLs have that beat by
quite a bit, though it's possible a Fine Scale Miniatures kit unbuilt in
mint condition would reach into the $1000 range). Of course you're off by • at
least one order of magnitude on the cost range a single locomotive can
reach, I've seen adds for $5000+ live steam models, and $300 is actually • the
low end for brass locomotives.

Good point.  I have a LEGO lift bridge controlled by 2 RCX's.  The total
estimated street value is just over $1200 (that's cost ladies and gents...)

My collection is a small collection in my own mind.  I now, only after many
years of collecting, have approximately 250k pieces.  I'd never thought
about the value before, but there would be 2, I assume:  Average worth and
cost of replacement.  Is your 10 cents per brick a good enough average per
piece cost?  Does that include MISB sets, rare sets or pieces, or cover
persons that have more Technic, Train, and Mindstorms?  Probably not.  At
$.10/piece, my collection would be worth $25k.  Divide that by an average of
25 years of collecting; that's $1000/year.  I spend way more than that...
At BF events I usually spend that much in one day...

-brickmodder