 General / 46640
Re: Too much Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:04:36 GMT

What is this phrase, "too much LEGO"? I read the words but don't understand them
in that order... ;)

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
For myself, I currently have a collection totalling 53,171 parts.

I've been on a buying spree for the last six months and have approximately
75,000 pieces. Before that, it was about 50,000.

Most AFOLs
would probably consider it an average collection.  Is it average?  How much do
you spend on Lego AND, more importantly, what's your bottom line - how much Lego
do you keep and what is the value of your collection?  What's the real average?

I keep it all, I don't resell. No idea on any value - and there are several
metrics on that. What I paid, what it's worth retail, what it's worth as used,
parted-out pieces... maybe later I'll want to attach a dollar value, but for now
that's not what I'm acquiring it for.

Considering families, how much would you spend on the primary hobby for your
child?  Is $500/year excessive?

My two boys, both LEGO maniacs, have a joint collection of about 1,800 pieces,
which we add to regularly. Birthdays and holidays are big additions, but they
also like other stuff so we don't overload them with LEGO. Between both kids,
I'd say we spend about $150-$200/year on LEGO total for them.

Significantly more for Dad.