 General / 46656
Re: Too much Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:05:56 GMT

"Frank Filz" <ffilz-lists@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:Hv00x4.1D5n@lugnet.com...

Is my collection sane? I don't know. I probably should sell a bunch of it
off. I'm not sure what my minifig population is, but I doubt I could ever
use all of them. I've also got thousands of pieces that are totally
unnecessary for anything I might ever build. I have sold some off, but
selling pieces is just a pain.

Frank hits the nail on the head - Once you start seriously purchasing Lego
kits for the parts instead of the main model, you inevitably end up with a
significant percentage of parts you will never use.

4727 Aragog in the Dark Forest is a good example.
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/4727-1

This set has some fine minifigures and an excellent selection of plates,
tiles, bricks, slopes in brown and black. Plus nice foliage and minifigures.
On top of that, it has been a heavily clearanced item. So it is cheap.

What do you do with all the spider webs, dinosaur tail segments and
transparent neon green spiders?

To me, it is a waste to sort and store the extras. And I don't have time or
inventory to be a competitive seller. So all these extra "non-brick bits"
end up in a couple of giant bins. The part selection in these bins is so
feeble that I almost feel guilty putting them out when kids come to the
house. (But I also have unsorted brick bins for kids to play with.)

Now the castle and space folks often find very clever uses for all these
parts.

But I'm a town and train fan. And I have a tough time justifying a $20 set
purchase just to use 30% of the parts regularly. Which is why my purchases
are often Bulk, Make & Create and BrickLink. The "useful part percentage" is
typically much higher than the other lines.

What to do with all the extra parts....?

Bryan