 General / 46595
Re: So why all the whining about the color changes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 03:09:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:

   I say if the marketing managers feel that this’ll save TLC money, or maybe generate some coin, then perhaps my favourite company will be around for a longer period of time. In this day and age, with the dog eat dog world of corporate cutthroats, I say to TLC, ‘Do what it takes to keep your Co. going!’

The official reason given for the color change was that new colors were less “muddy” and would be more appealing to kids. No mention was made of the new colors being cheaper to produce (although that hasn’t been denied). But Jake McKee has said this:

Keep in mind that the non-AFOL consumer (especially the kids on the boards) probably hasn’t realized there IS a color change. Many of this year’s products aren’t out yet (Harry Potter for instance, isn’t out until the movie time around May). If they have the products, it may take them a while to notice a difference. If they notice a difference, I’m not sure a large percentage will care. Think about what the creations kids build typically... many many of them are multi-, mixed- color. Browse the galleries in the online LEGO Club, and you’ll not see much color consistency.

If it turns out the real reason for the color change was to save money on production, does it matter to you that TLC lied to us? It matters to me. I get lied to by enough businesses and governments, I don’t need it from the company that supplies my hobby.

I’ve asked this question before, and it has yet to be answered: if the color change was intended to boost sales among kids, why hasn’t it been publicized at all? Why did TLC try to sneak the change past its customers?

Marc Nelson Jr.