 General / 46589
Re: So why all the whining about the color changes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:44:01 GMT

The one thing I can’t understand is the “I’ve got multiple thousands of dollars of bricks, now these new ones won’t match, so I’m going to quit my hobby.” My, perhaps simplistic question is: Why not continue building with the huge stockpile you already have? I can understand not wanting to buy more, but unless someone has to save every MOC they make for posterity (in which case they must have a spare warehouse just for this purpose), they’ve got a huge collection sitting there to build with. Yes, I’ll never get this or that brand new element in old gray, but new elements aren’t all that necessary. I haven’t seen anything that I really NEEDED come out in recent years. Yes, new elements are cool and it is fun to find ways to use them, but in castle, for instance, you do most of your building with basic bricks/plates/slopes. Space probably incorporates more new elements, but it’s possible to use a much wider color pallette in that theme.

Yes, I am bummed by the change, and I have made some purchases of old gray bricks both on BL and these one-time bulk packs to shore up my collection, but I could probably happily build for the rest of my life with no new purchases*

A similar thing could be said about non-yellow minifig heads in certain themes. Yes, they look odd with my collection, but even if TLC changed all the heads, I can’t imagine a situation where I used all of my heads in one diorama and was forced to start buying new minifigs to fill out a scene. It’s nice to have an infinite variety of faces, but back in the days of the classic smiley we got by.**

I guess I don’t get it.

Bruce

  • Shh, don’t tell my SO. Um, yes dear, I really reaaly need this new set, because, um, it has 2x3 slopes in tan, and I can’t live without making tan slopes.
** Again, don’t tell my SO. Actually, she’s generally supportive of buying a set mainly because it has a different minifig, so that’s usually an easy sell.