 General / 46594
Re: So why all the whining about the color changes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 02:39:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   I started a poll with the basic question:

“How long before the Lego company beats a shame-faced strategic retreat and returns the old grays and browns permanently to production?”

http://members.lugnet.com/polls/ballots/?n=173

So far, over half have answered “Never”.

If you believe that (and I’m not saying that you guys are wrong) then why all the whining? I’m not going to call it “voicing your opinion” or “expressing your concern”, it’s whining. If you don’t believe Lego will act on the complaints at any time, then there isn’t a lot of point in voicing complaint. It would seem to me to be best to either shup up and move on, or continue to express your displeasure in the belief that at some point Lego will get a clue.

Personally, I don’t have a huge problem with the color changes beyond one really important one: it’s incompatible with the stock of bricks I have. One complaint, but it has huge repurcussions. I simply find it amazing that The Powers That Be at Lego never even considered it.

It isn’t the end of the world as some would make out, but it is something that I believe is correctable.

-->Bruce<--

I still hold out hope for the return of the old colors, especially after TLC’s reversal on the Duplo/Explore name. But there are good reasons for expressing displeasure to TLC even if you don’t think they will reverse the color change:
  • Even if this change is a done deal, maybe the fallout will convince TLC that another color change isn’t worth it. So complaining now might make it less likely that we will have the same problem next year with “new blue” or something equally stupid.

  • Even if you don’t care about the color change, you have to admit TLC handled it in a bad way - no notice to customers or most employees, phony excuses, etc. So maybe we can affect the way TLC handles big changes in the future by letting them know that someone out there cares, and TLC management doesn’t make decisions in a vacuum.
Marc Nelson Jr.