 General / 44021
Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:05:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Spencer Rezkalla wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:

   Exactly. Jake is in charge of Community Development. If LEGO wanted to do some market research, why didn’t they tap into his direct contact with the community? Jake is a walking focus group in daily contact with their most avid consumer base. For them to have ignored this shows just how myopic the product development team has become.

Do you know for certain that AFOLs were not involved in the market research and focus groups for this? It’s been pointed out that supposedly there are many AFOLs that aren’t online here. Just because no one on Lugnet knew beforehand...

Well I didn’t say that they didn’t ask any AFOLs, but they apparently didn’t ask Jake. I am certain that he could have very quickly and inexpensively given them an idea of the kind of dismay that this would cause for a significant majority of AFOLs. And if they did sample the AFOL community, don’t you think they would have found statistically similar results to the (overwhelmingly negative) responses that have appeared here on LUGNET?

   I don’t necessarily agree with your assessment that a product’s most avid (i.e. enthusiast) consumer base provides superior market research for future product development.

Maybe not. But if they did ignore the enthusiast market completely when conducting their “market research” then you would have to agree that they did not get a truly representative sample of their customer base.

- Chris.