 General / 44035
Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:48:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Spencer Rezkalla wrote:
   I don’t think anyone outside of Lego (or even inside too) can say exactly how significant the AFOL market is, but the more important question is how does this actually impact their sales? And that I don’t know, although I suspect it’s far, far less (for better or worse) than people have been speculating in this thread.

I’ve seen the Lugnet poll, and while it shows that a majority of people here are disappointed, only 5 people are threatening to give up the hobby. Nearly the same number voted that they liked the new colors and wouldn’t miss the old ones at all. Incidentally I didn’t vote, since I couldn’t find an appropriate choice for myself.

One other point, if 5 people leave the hobby, they will definitely stop buying LEGO. If the same number like the colors, does that mean that they will buy twice as much LEGO moving forward to make up for those who have left the hobby?

I am one of the majority voters who chose “I don’t mind you adding new colors, but the loss of the old ones will lessen my enjoyment of LEGO.” I certainly intend to halt my LEGO purchases for some period of time to wait and see what LEGO does about this issue. The off-shades will mess up my sorting and building, and I don’t need that headache unless it’s something I will be forced to live with in the long term. So it is likely that many of the 85% who disapprove of the change will decrease their spending as well, at least in the short term.

So I ask again, how does this change help them to sell more LEGO?

This is a gratuitous change that serves no apparent purpose, and will cause a lot of real problems for many LEGO collectors. If it cannot be demonstrated that this will somehow increase LEGO’s sales and future viability as a going concern, why should they do it?

- Chris.