 General / 43984
Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:18:52 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

They claimed
they hadn't heard anything about it. Can it be true that LEGO is the last • one on
earth to know what LEGO is doing?

In my experience, the left hand of any large organisation is the last to
hear about the right hand's plans. Indeed, I can just imagine the following
scenario ...

Lego factory employee has a binge drinking evening and while hungover
accidently sticks too much white into the light grey mixing machine. Quality
control picks this up about 3 weeks later just as an entire container ship
has been loaded with new sets full of this erroneous colour. What to do?
Recall them? No, no, cry the spin doctors, lets be an agile enterprise which
can value-add this challenge proposition into a synergenistic opportunity
(you can tell they've done the management course because they talk like
that), and announce that it is in fact a brand new colour replacing the old
one, but that we won't charge any extra for it! But won't the consumers
notice when we go back to the old colour? No, no, they say, that's the
beauty of it, we don't go back to the old colour. That way we can charge a
premium for old light grey, because its supply is now finite and hence has a
rarity value, and we can charge a premium for new light grey as everyone
will need more of that colour to match what they are forced to acquire in
new sets. What do we do if the consumers complain? Umm, says the spin
doctors, we tell them that the old light grey was environomentally damaging
and also discriminated against women, hindus and people who play the piano
accordian. Press release follows ...

"I'm delighted with Lego's decision to show respect to the many Hindu women
piano accordian players", says Sharmin Choudhary, Indian's foremost female
piano accordian player, "for too many years, the light grey colour was
deeply offensive to us, and we have boycotted their products for many years
as a consequence". [Accompanying photo: Sharmin standing on a mountainous
pile of new light grey Lego bricks playing a piano accordian, while other
Hindu women dance around it in a circle holding hands] Prince Philip,
Britain's monarchical consort and chairman of many conservation groups,
declared, "This is an enormous step forward for the environment,
particularly tuna fish as it will now be possible to easily distinguish Lego
tuna fish from Lego dophins, thus a new generation of young people will grow
up with increased respect for the tuna fish, and this will inevitably halt
the tragic death of so many tuna fish when these young people grow up and
become dolphin fishermen", as he galloped off to his fox hunting.

Kerry