 General / 44014
Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:59:03 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Ken Nagel wrote:

Why? Lego is a big company. From what I can tell, Jake isn’t involved in product development or manufacturing at Lego.

You can’t be serious - you’re surprised that Lego consumer affairs isn’t aware of every little nitpicking** change done to their product?

Spencer

**perhaps a major issue to a couple hundred AFOLS but little impact to everyone else

LEGO is not that big, however Jake is supposed to be in the know and when it comes to a product that is now on the shelves it can hardly be a development classified hush hush deal. What ever he needs to know is a phone call or email away.

Lego consumer affairs has always been on top of everything. They knew about the problem with the train wheels long before it hit Lugnet. To suggest they don’t know what’s going on is totaly ignorant of the consumer support LEGO is famous for.

Changing a basic color that has been for generations cannot be classified as nitpicking.

Exactly. Jake is in charge of Community Development. If LEGO wanted to do some market research, why didn’t they tap into his direct contact with the community? Jake is a walking focus group in daily contact with their most avid consumer base. For them to have ignored this shows just how myopic the product development team has become.

   Even by LEGO’s estimates AFOLs are 5% of their clientel. That ads up to a whole bunch more than the couple hundred that are active on Lugnet.

And I find it interesting that, of the respondents to this poll, only 6% of us 5%-ers actually approve of this change, with another 9% in the “don’t care” column. If TLC can write AFOLs off so easily because we are only 5% of their market, what does that say about these poll results?

My non-LEGO wife (*still* in her Dark Age despite my best efforts) could not believe that they would do this. I spoke with a few LEGO store employees yesterday who had not heard of the change, could not believe that it was true, and questioned the source of my information. Until I told them that Jake had confirmed it, then they were as shocked as I am.

And remember that a surprisingly small percentage of AFOLs even know about LUGNET. Every time I’ve been to the LEGO Store, I’ve met more AFOLs who didn’t know about LUGNET than people who do. So I still question how LEGO has determined that we are such a small slice of their market when so many AFOLs still remain in the closet.

- Chris.