 General / 44028
Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:05:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:

   So if most of their customers don’t care about the colors, how does this change help them to sell more LEGO?

What I was implying is that most customers probably won’t be missing the old colors. Who knows, maybe the new colors were shown to be very popular in their studies?

   Ok, so maybe this is not a statistically significant sample base, but this is certainly anecdotal evidence that the AFOL market is a significant factor in LEGO’s overall sales numbers. I welcome anyone who reads this to provide your own analysis, whether it supports or contradicts my findings.

I don’t think anyone outside of Lego (or even inside too) can say exactly how significant the AFOL market is, but the more important question is how does this actually impact their sales? And that I don’t know, although I suspect it’s far, far less (for better or worse) than people have been speculating in this thread.

I’ve seen the Lugnet poll, and while it shows that a majority of people here are disappointed, only 5 people are threatening to give up the hobby. Nearly the same number voted that they liked the new colors and wouldn’t miss the old ones at all. Incidentally I didn’t vote, since I couldn’t find an appropriate choice for myself.

Spencer