 General / 44027
Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:39:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:

And remember that a surprisingly small percentage of AFOLs even know about LUGNET. Every time I’ve been to the LEGO Store, I’ve met more AFOLs who didn’t know about LUGNET than people who do. So I still question how LEGO has determined that we are such a small slice of their market when so many AFOLs still remain in the closet.

An excellent point. I am one who falls into this category myself. I have little to do with LUGNET (or any other online community), though I have lurked for a great many years. I rarely speak my mind, because I have more interest in playing with Lego than talking about Lego. I think this is perhaps my second post since ‘97, though I have been here all along. I commit roughly 20% of my annual income to purchasing Lego, for myself and occasionally for my wife (no children) and I absolutely never part out my purchases, they’re all for me.

These purchases are spent roughly 25% through S@H, and the remainder through retail. I figure I am a good example of the silent AFOL - the question is, since we are generally quiet in these groups, how can TLC have any concept of what percentage of their market we represent? I believe it is much larger than the 5% number that has been thrown around the last few days. When I spend 8K per year via retail, Lego only sees a report of which sets have sold. (and I’m sure they collect other information too, but...) They don’t know who has received the sets. To TLC, these purchases could be for relatives or children who would not notice or care about the color change, when in fact they are for me, who cares very deeply about the change.

I believe very strongly in voting with my wallet. Bionicle came out? I didn’t buy any. It wasn’t for me, and I didn’t feel bad about it. Jack Stone? Same thing. I was not the target audience, no loss; I spent my money on the myriad of other fantastic products TLC has to offer.

This change goes beyond simply targeting a different audience, because in the past there were still plenty of products targeted at me. It is my belief that TLC has done itself some great harm. They have effectively removed AFOL’s from being any type of target audience. Neither I nor TLC has any method of determining how many silent AFOL’s are out there. I too run into them standing in front of the retail shelves. You can tell a closet AFOL as they peer closely at the pictures on the back. You can almost see them wishing that the boxes still had cellophane windows so they could see inside. I always smile and ask ‘Are those for you kids?’ I usually get a meek ‘Umm.. no.’ Then I tell them that this is my third Yoda this year. We get a good laugh about that before we go our different ways. My point is that despite TLC’s marketing research and analysis, This group is vastly more expansive than they think. I believe that TLC will be in for a nasty surprise come 2004.

In closing, my own plans are simply to watch closely. TLC will undoubtedly release more great sets in the upcoming years, and I’m sure that I will buy some of them. As many as I did? I can’t say yet. It is as if the rug has been pulled out from under us - our puppies have been kicked, as it were. The new bricks without doubt will present new building challenges, but at the same time it closes the door on too many long time fans, many of whom will disappear with nary a word.

If the world were perfect, it would be filled with monorails and cypress trees. That’s just the way it is, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.