 General / 43944
    Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Ken Nagel
   (...) Your post seems to indicate that you had no idea this was comming. Two days after you posted this I called consumer affairs about the problem. They claimed they hadn't heard anything about it. Can it be true that LEGO is the last one on earth (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Kerry Raymond
      (...) one on (...) In my experience, the left hand of any large organisation is the last to hear about the right hand's plans. Indeed, I can just imagine the following scenario ... Lego factory employee has a binge drinking evening and while (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.general) !

        Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —John Spencer Rezkalla
   (...) Why? Lego is a big company. From what I can tell, Jake isn't involved in product development or manufacturing at Lego. You can't be serious - you're surprised that Lego consumer affairs isn't aware of every little nitpicking** change done to (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Ken Nagel
   (...) LEGO is not that big, however Jake is supposed to be in the know and when it comes to a product that is now on the shelves it can hardly be a development classified hush hush deal. What ever he needs to know is a phone call or email away. Lego (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Chris Phillips
     (...) Exactly. Jake is in charge of Community Development. If LEGO wanted to do some market research, why didn't they tap into his direct contact with the community? Jake is a walking focus group in daily contact with their most avid consumer base. (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX) !

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —John Spencer Rezkalla
      (...) Do you know for certain that AFOLs were not involved in the market research and focus groups for this? It's been pointed out that supposedly there are many AFOLs that aren't online here. Just because no one on Lugnet knew beforehand... I don't (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

          Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Chris Phillips
      (...) Well I didn't say that they didn't ask any AFOLs, but they apparently didn't ask Jake. I am certain that he could have very quickly and inexpensively given them an idea of the kind of dismay that this would cause for a significant majority of (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

          Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Erik Olson
      Look at it like this. Coke knew that 1 in 12 of its customers in focus groups was rabidly, militantly opposed to messing with the flavor. Coke also knew full well that that 1 in 12 had a way of swaying the other 11 in the room, who liked New Coke (...) (21 years ago, 22-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

          Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Chris Phillips
      (...) The easy way around this is simply to not use focus groups, but to poll individuals. The idea behind a focus group is to see how interaction between the participants unfolds so that you can anticipate how general public reaction might unfold. (...) (21 years ago, 22-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Mark Klein
     (...) An excellent point. I am one who falls into this category myself. I have little to do with LUGNET (or any other online community), though I have lurked for a great many years. I rarely speak my mind, because I have more interest in playing (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Bryan Wong
     In lugnet.general, Mark Klein wrote: Snip! (...) Well said Mark. Your well-thought out, sensible, mature reply serves as an excellent example to the kind of user LUGNET needs more of. -Bryan (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —John Spencer Rezkalla
   (...) Yes, and when he found out it appears he made those internal calls and relayed the information to us. The point I'm making is that I don't see why Lego PD would have to call up Jake to inform him every time a product change is made or (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Chris Phillips
     (...) So if most of their customers don't care about the colors, how does this change help them to sell more LEGO? (...) Yet it is a statistically significant sample of their worldwide market. If 85% of LUGNETters think this is a bad idea, and 100% (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —John Spencer Rezkalla
     (...) What I was implying is that most customers probably won't be missing the old colors. Who knows, maybe the new colors were shown to be very popular in their studies? (...) I don't think anyone outside of Lego (or even inside too) can say (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Chris Phillips
      (...) Well based on the outcry here, I think it is very clear that the old colors are very popular. (...) Out of curiosity, how would you word a poll response that you would have considered to be an appropriate choice? - Chris. (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Chris Phillips
     (...) One other point, if 5 people leave the hobby, they will definitely stop buying LEGO. If the same number like the colors, does that mean that they will buy twice as much LEGO moving forward to make up for those who have left the hobby? I am one (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Ken Nagel
     (...) Again Jake could speak for himself and give calm to the storm but he isn't. His existance is to be a community link to corporate LEGO and the link seems AWOL. He had time to put out a tiny fire at ILTCO yesterday while the lug net FIRESTORM (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Tim Courtney
      (...) In Jake's defense ... I sent him an unrelated email today, and immediately received an out of office auto-reply. He's out of town until Monday, with limited email access. So, I assume this also means limited internet access. He does have other (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

          Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Ken Nagel
      (...) I never attacked Jake just the unwarrented defence that has mounted. My points revisited. There is no excuse for the service rep who chose to lie to me when I called LEGO. As I mentioned to start Jake is absent not because Jake is a bad man, (...) (21 years ago, 22-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

          Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Tim Courtney
      (...) I talk to my best friend in Iraq online all the time - it sure is strange. We nearly stopped writing letters back and forth cause he's on M$N a couple nights a week! -Tim (21 years ago, 22-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —James Trobaugh
     (...) What could Jake say that would "calm the storm"? I really doubt, beyond saying that the colors will stay the same, anything he says will make a difference to the people that are upset at this point. jt (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

         Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Ray Sanders
     (...) Yep. The parts that people are seeing today have probably been in the supply chain for 3-6 months. The decision would have been made even farther back. And there are several months (minimum) of new color parts in the supply chain now destined (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, FTX)

        Re: New colors and other info (ATTN JAKE) —Thomas Stangl
   (...) Do you see what you are saying here? You are proving a point that TLG obviously ignored. If the mass public won't care, and the most vocal, most fervert fans are shocked at the idea, then WHY would they possibly decide to stop making the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.general)