 General / 43529
Re: why do people hate builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 01:27:21 GMT

daniel ravenda wrote:

> hey. whats up. douse anyone else have a problem with non builder
> people. many people see legos as toy and play things and not as
> art. :(
>
> Why why why. at home I am not aloud to build my parent say it is to
> babyish.

First of all, I'd get them to say why, specifically, they think that
it's babyish.  If they say that only small children play with LEGO, you
have an instant rebuttal that you can prove many adults play with LEGO
as well... some even make a fair amount of money at it.  They may be
inclined to lump such people into a category of being weird or strange,
but what's so bad about being weird, as long as it doesn't stop or limit
you from functioning in the more "normal" world of school, job, friends,
family, etc...?   You might want to ask your parents this question as
well if the conversation heads in that direction.   Really, the
statement "many people see legos as a toy" is only true to the same
extent that many people only see home computers as a toy as well (and
this viewpoint is even well founded by the fact that the market for
computer entertainment software is greater than the markest for *ALL*
other software types combined).  Just because many people see it that
way doesn't mean it's true.

Don't hide your LEGO from your folks because that only fuels their
perception that there's something wrong with you if you like playing
with LEGO.

You mention elsewhere that your dad "forbids" you from spending money on
LEGO.  How does your dad "forbid" you, exactly?  Repeatedly throwing
your stuff out that you paid for yourself can sometimes even qualify as
a form of child abuse (emotional abuse, specifically).  I would
seriously hope that your situation is not actually as dire as this.

Take care, and play well!